Thursday, January 3, 2008

Soup's On

I received seven new cookbooks in the month of December. Seven! I think people have figured out that I like to cook. Or maybe I just gave enough hints. Of course, this didn't stop me from ordering one more. I can't wait for it to arrive on January 8. What?

It was hard deciding what to make first from all these lovely books. Especially since December was a gluttonous month that included two birthday cakes, candy making, and two batches of cookies. I'm on sugar overload, and it's been so long since I've had my fair share of vegetables that things are kinda awkward. "Um, Broccoli, I've been meaning to call. But I've just been so busy. Dessert really needed me this month. But I promise we'll make plans to get together soon."

I can't lie to Broccoli, so I think January is going to be a month of soups. I can get all that lovely warm, I've-been-cooking-this-all-day feeling, and at the same time try out lots of new recipes from my new library. All the cookbooks have soup recipes. Um, except that cupcake cookbook. I may have to hide that one in the freezer.

This is all a long way of saying, look at my pretty soup:

It's Yellow Pea and Coconut Milk Soup with spinach, rice, and spiced yogurt. Except I left out the yogurt. And I used millet instead of rice. But I got the general gist of the soup. It's from Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen. An entire book of soups! I think I'd make this again, but with some changes. For all that this had an entire 15 ounce can of coconut milk, it doesn't taste much like coconut. Next time I'll stick with a smaller can of lite coconut milk. And the recipe directions have you using three different pots and pans. I'm dishes phobic, so next time I'll combine a few steps so I can leave out a pan.

No comments: