Monday, October 26, 2009

My Spice Collection

This is my spice collection. It actually looks smaller in the photo than it is in reality. That's a table that easily sits four. I have a lot of spices. Probably too many.

Everyone else loves lists as much as I do, right? Here's what's pictured, loosely categorized.

Spice Mixes
pasta sprinkle
za'atar
Cajun seasoning
Louisiana seasoning
seasoning salt (2)
herbs de Provence (2)
jerk seasoning
cinnamon sugar
Chinese five spice powder
taco seasoning
Old Bay-type seasoning
Magic Barbecue seasoning
pizza seasoning
English prime rib rub
creamy peppercorn dressing mix
phuket (green curry powder)
chiang mai (red curry powder)
berbere
panch phoran
quatre-epices
sansho
ras-el hanout
tandoori spice blend
fish boil

Salts and Peppers
black peppercorns
Balinese long pepper
kosher salt
sea salt
iodized salt
black salt
celery salt

Sweet Spices
whole nutmeg
cinnamon sticks
ground cinnamon
Chinese Cassia cinnamon
ground ginger
ground allspice
whole cloves
ground cloves
vanilla bean
green cardamom

Things Made from Red Pepper
pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika)
chili powder (4)
paprika
sweet paprika
crushed red pepper (2)
cayenne pepper

Indian Spices
whole mustard seeds
ground mustard seeds (2)
curry powder
black cardamom
turmeric
asafoetida
ground coriander
whole coriander
garam masala

Green Herby or Seedy Things
thyme
oregano
parsley
savory
rosemary (2)
whole cumin
ground cumin
tarragon leaves
marjoram leaves
ground marjoram
fennel seeds
bay leaves (2)
dill
cilantro
basil
caraway seeds
gumbo file
rubbed sage
ground sage
ground thyme

Other
garlic powder
onion powder
star anise
saffron
poppy seed
sesame seed
kelp granules


I honestly don't have any idea what to do with some of these. Some are spices that I bought on a whim (Chinese five spice powder). Some are gifts from family and friends (English prime rib rub). Some wandered into my cabinets when Dewey and I moved in together (Magic Barbecue Seasoning).

I spent part of the weekend looking up recipes to use some of these up. I hate throwing out food, but it really is time to pare down.

3 comments:

two vegan boys said...

That is awesome! I have a lot of spices too. And some that I have never used. They just looked cool at the time of purchase.

www.twoveganboys.wordpress.com

Evelyn said...

I have a ton of old spice blends that realistically I'll never use up (8 oz. of fajita seasoning, for example). I mostly make my own blends now, although I do have a lot of premade curry powder from the Indian grocery store. I was very happy to use up my store-bought Italian seasoning blend yesterday.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I love looking at spice collections! I am also in that predicament as I have a ton of stuff I'll probably never use again.