Saturday, June 21, 2008

Stir-fried leeks


I hate wasting food, so I'm always trying to think of ways to use up leftover bits of food. Awhile back I made an Asian marinade for tofu. I didn't want to throw it out, so I added tomato paste and red wine to it and used it to marinade more tofu. After cooking the tofu, I threw in the leftover marinade and thickened it up for a sauce.It was one of the best tofu dishes I've ever made, and I've been thinking about it ever since. I tried to recreate it tonight, but it wasn't successful. So there's no recipe for that. I'm going to keep trying. But the stir-fried leeks I made were great, and I know exactly how to make those.

Stir-fried Leeks
This served one vegetable-loving person. Feel free to double or triple the recipe, just don't crowd the pan.

1 leek
2 teaspoons minced ginger (feel free to leave the peel on)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce*
1 tablespoon mirin
1/4 cup broth
oil for stir-frying (I use canola. No use wasting the good olive oil for this)

Clean the leek and chop it into 1-inch pieces. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook for thirty seconds or until fragrant. Add leek and stir fry until bright green and slightly blackened, about five minutes. Add dark soy sauce, mirin, and broth and cook until most of the liquid has disappeared.

*Dark soy sauce is completely different from light soy sauce (the most common kind). It's darker (obviously) and has a more intense flavor. Use 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce if you don't have the dark.

No comments: