Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Boxed Soups

Leftovers and home-cooked foods are great, but sometimes you need to rely on Mama Grocery Store to provide something to round out your lunch.

I think boxed soups are great to keep around for lunches. Boxed soups, for whatever reason, tend to taste better than canned ones. And they don't require a can opener, which is a bonus for work or school meals. I often rely on them to boost the vegetable count in my lunches between grocery trips.

Due to BPA in can linings, there's been a recent explosion in boxed soups. And a surprising number of the new soups are vegan. I've been keeping a score sheet for every boxed soup I try. Here are my favorites.

Pacific Natural Foods Cashew Carrot Ginger My soup rating system is 1-4 soup spoons. When I tried this soup for the first time, it made me wish that it went to 5, at least. It's creamy, flavorful, and doesn't need any doctoring. This is the soup I'd serve to anyone who thought vegans eat twigs and berries.

Dr. McDougall Roasted Red Pepper Tomato This is my other hands-down favorite. This brand is marketed as healthy convenience food. (You can read about Dr. McDougall's diet here.) They're a little harder to find than the Pacific Natural brand. Locally, I buy them at Whole Foods or Fiesta supermarkets. You can also get them in bulk from Amazon. The Roasted Red Pepper Tomato soup is the perfect balance of tomato-y acid and red pepper sweetness, and there are nice chunks of tomatoes, too.

Honorable mentions: Imagine Foods Potato Leek, Imagine Foods Corn and Lemongrass, and Pacific Natural Foods Thai Sweet Potato.

The Fig and Colavita soups also pictured above are so new, I haven't had a chance to try them.

10 comments:

omgoshimvegan said...

I was just staring at a box of Pacific soup I have thinking I should really eat this. For a quick fix some box soups can be a wonderful option.

Kelly said...

Y'know, I don't think I've ever even had a boxed soup! Nor have I had a canned soup in ages, come to think of it. But it's good to know that delicious options are out there!

Kate said...

Thanks for the recommendation about the cashew carrot soup! I've been tempted by it several times over the last few months, but I'm usually disappointed by creamy canned soups. That's going in my cart on my next trip to Whole Foods.

flying said...

Wow, they haven't invented such things around here yet. I believe there might not even be many canned soups around here, but I never keep an eye out for them as I have never felt the need for one.

panda with cookie said...

I see these sometimes at my closeout grocer. It's good to see a list of some good ones named!

Jen said...

some people like boxed wine, i like boxed soup. sometimes i'm just too darned lazy to make things from scratch.

Anonymous said...

I have to try that Pacific Natural soup, I got a bunch of the McDougalls in a cup and Ani Chungs and they were all pretty gross!

mollyjade said...

I agree. The McDougall soup cups are really disappointing. Worse than an ordinary soup cup, which is saying something.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Cashew carrot ginger sounds amazing!

Catherine Weber said...

I've had that cashew carrot soup before, and LOVED it! And I don't even like carrots!