Thursday, September 17, 2009

Our Trip: NYC


Dewey has always wanted to go to the U.S. Open, so that's why we chose New York for the first part of our trip. This is Safina, the number-one-ranked woman tennis player at the time of the Open. She has a really unusual and graceful serve. It's a little hard to see, but the tennis ball is about level with the umpire's right hand in this photo.


For some reason, my father always takes a photo out the window of his hotel room on vacations, and I've picked up the habit. If you could see through those trees, you would see the Manhattan Whole Foods. The neighborhood we stayed in was heaven for us. We had dessert almost every night. Every restaurant was organic or local or vegetarian or some combination. And it was a close walk to Moo Shoes, an all-vegan shoe store. (I got these.)


This is the only food photo I took during the entire vacation. But that's OK, because I think this was the best thing I ate. A block from our hotel was an appetizing store that has three different flavors of vegan cream cheese. And really, this was the best vegan cream cheese I've ever had. So fluffy! A pumpernickel bagel (pumpernickel bread is good for the blood sugar) with chive tofu cream cheese.


And here I am standing under the sign for Hair, which was wonderful. I love the crazziness of singing about your biggest secrets at the top of your voice, complete with jazz hands.

Not pictured: the Chabad rabbi who talked Dewey into being the tenth in a minyan in the garment district. I sat upstairs in the "women's gallery" (really, the men sat in the basement and we sat behind the banister upstairs) and had a nice conversation with a little kid about Harry Potter.

Coming up, the DC part of our trip.

3 comments:

dsharp88 said...

looks like a really fun trip and how cool is it that you got to go to the U.S. Open?! Also, I need shoes so I think I'm going to give the Moo Shoes website a look. Thanks for the tip!

mollyjade said...

They have cats in their store. I know that doesn't do that much for you when you're shopping online, but it was great in person.

Barbara said...

Looks like a great trip. Love the photos and would like more details on the minyan. I'm hungry for real NY bagels! You are a terrific honeymoon planner... Great Job!