Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The way my garden grows


I'm beginning to think I should stop growing vegetables and start cultivating bugs. I'd be more successful that way.

Here are some adorable aphids sucking out the juices of a pepper leaf. With them, their friend the ant.


Here is a picture of a spidermite on a sheet of white paper. The mite is that light colored thing in the middle of the photograph. For size comparison, they're about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.

I spent the evening washing aphids, ants, and spidermites off the leaves of my plants. Too bad the snails will love all that moisture.


Leaf damage on an eggplant leaf. The white spongy part is actually where a pest sucked the bottom layer off the leaf, leaving just a thin top layer.


And finally, a holey squash leaf. These holes are circular unlike the irregular holes above. I think the black bits are waste left behind by whatever is chowing down on the leaf.

No comments: