Thursday, April 23, 2009

Look!



There's an itty bitty tomato growing on my tomato plant! About a week after I planted these tomatoes, a herd of evil spidermites attacked them. Spidermites are so tiny, they're hard to see. I could tell something was wrong because the leaves were turning black. So I grabbed a piece of white paper, held it under the leaves, and shook my tomatoes. Sure enough, tiny red dots fell onto the paper.

Spidermites hate the damp. So for the next week or so, I watered the underside of the leaves on my tomato plants. I was able to save 4 of the 6 plants. And the largest one is blooming and producing tiny tomatoes now. I've had such bad garden luck so far, I'm tempted to eat the green tomatoes now just so I can be certain I'll harvest something from the garden this year.

3 comments:

dsharp88 said...

Congrats on being a tomato mommy! I hope the rest come in as well.

Jane Ellis said...

Congrats! I can't wait to get into my garden... its still a bit too cold here in PA.

What are you using to support your tomato plants? Looks like a small wooden stick?
I recommend The Tomato stake -- www.thetomatostake.com So easy, the support ties are built in and its made of sturdy plastic, so reusable every year.

Best of luck!

mollyjade said...

Wah wah! My tomato is gone already. I don't know if it was the squirrels or the heavy rain we had. I should have eaten it when I had the chance!